Monday, January 24, 2005

Japanese Western - Ma.Maison

Ma.Maison at Bugis Junction - level 2.





Looks familiar? Always walked past but never entered to try? Well, i did so today.


The whole restaurant was decorated like a house, cottage style. As i entered, i really felt like i was really entering one of the theme restaurants that you would usually only see on TV. It gives a pretty fairy tale like kinda feeling somehow.





The tables no.s were differentiated via the golden key in the first pic. Looks special right? We were holding onto the key no.7. The cultery set was given in a little basket dat totally matches the whole restaurant's theme. The menu was a big book with brown leather cover. It looks like some ancient diary from some fairy tale. Overall, i really like the whole atmosphere.


The service was overall ok except that initally, it was kinda hard to get the server's attention ( probably due to lack of staff ). But the staff were all pretty polite and friendly so the experience was really good.


We noticed dat that they had alot of japanese customers. We browsed around and we noticed at least 4 tables of japanese. Hmm.. On a sunday night around 9.30 pm, you still get 4 tables of japanese, dats alot!


Finally, im sure you're all waiting to find out about their food!





The onion gratin soup was good! Maybe because we recently just dined at Tony Roma's, we could help but compare.. it was much much better den the Tony Roma's one.


A little digression here. I saw my friend add pepper to the soup w/o even trying it. And we got engaged in a little discussion. I asked her why she added the pepper to the soup w/o even trying it. Her reply was dat: " its kinda a habit, everyone does it ( Is this true? Do you do that as well? ) ". I mean, yes, i know for a fact dat majority of the people would have the practice of adding salt and pepper to their soup and sauces to their food - ketchup and chilli. But i, so happen to be one of the rare few, who doesnt. I dun add salt n pepper to my soup unless its really so super blend. And unlike everyone, even when it comes to fries, i dun nid to have ketchup or chilli sauce. Im ok with or without it. I'll probably only dip abit of it when im sharing my fries and someone has opened up a pack of the sauces but i won't need any sauce if im eating it alone. I understand dat most people, would add ketchup and chilli to alot of their other food as well - be it before or after trying the food.


My question to my friend and most of you people out there who would behave like my friend, is... why do u add the pepper before trying the soup? Maybe it tastes just fine by itself.


My friend did tell me this as well... " anyway its just a little bit of pepper so it wun affect the taste so much " So my next question is, if that's the case den why add pepper? since its not going to make a difference... hahahahha...


My friend was kinda dumbfolded by my questions... haha.. i know its not something dat really has a reason to it.. everyone's probably just used to doing it. But those who read my blog, if u haf any views on this issue, let me know oki!! lol..


PS: im asking not because i think its wrong or anything. In all due respect to everyone who adds pepper to their soup w/o testing it first, im just curious. :)


Oki.. back to my food recommendations! The hamburger steak was oki. Not bad. It was after we ordered dat we realised dat they haf different kinda hamburger steak. Ours is just hamburger steak. They had swiss hamburger steak, korean hamburger steak and russian hamburger steak! We agreed to try the others next time.. rest assured there'll be a next visit to Ma.Maison!


The Scotch Eggs, dun be mistaken dat its a starter. Its a main course - $16! Its egg covered with meat - not sure what kind. Looks special doesn't it? Tastes ok as well. The dish's side salad was really good, the sauce made it very good.


The Napolitian Spaghetti was served in a pan. Below the spaghetti was a layer of fried egg. ( Erm.. notice most of its dishes involves egg? a very egg-y dinner ) The overall taste of the spaghetti was not bad as well. The tomato base is not the usual kind. Its a little.. japanese kinda tomato paste ( Not sure if u'll understand what i mean here.. haha )


Lastly.. the brownie with ice cream..... Heavenly!~ Surprisingly huh.. their brownie is very good! With nuts in the warm brownie coming together with the ice cream melting in ur mouth... We couldn't stop repeating " Hen2 hao3 chi1 " after every bite!

1 comment:

LiquidShaDow said...

Hmmm...very old entry. I'm bored at work so...heh. Regarding salt and pepper, I add pepper to my soup. I usually taste it before adding the pepper and unless I really like the flavour, in goes the pepper.

I don't take much ketchup and chilli sauce. The only chilli sauce I like is the one from McDonalds. The garlicky one. I like my fries plain usually.