Friday, November 10, 2006

Banoo

Banoo is located at 7 mohammed sultan road. tel: 62357989.

Banoo...



some pictures of its interior...











its menu....



for appetisers, i gave Lionel the honour of selecting what to order.

first to arrive was naan-o-paneer-o-sabzi ($4)....



its iranian thin bread with feta cheese, fresh basils, mint and onion. You basically gotta wrap all the stuff together like a popiah. Honestly, the taste was pretty alright. I especially liked the feta cheese. But i dun think i'll order this item on the next visit coz it probably isnt spectacular enough to make me wana eat it again. Besides, all the basil, onion etc.. all very vege stuff which doesnt feel that it can fill my hunger. haha..

next was the hummous ($4.90)...



its blended chickpeas with garlic, olive oil and tahini (creamy sesame). This item was really good. The blended chickpea i mean. It tastes abit like cheese spread. Its good, i like it. I remember trying something similiar during some of the hotel buffets but i remember those were not good at all. This is one item i will definitely get again on our next visit!

For mains, Lionel had their house specialty, the kebab koobideh ($15.50)...



its two skewers of ground lamb seasoned with spices and onion. This is so good! I mean, considering i dun like the taste of lamb or mutton, i actually thought that this was tasty. Also, the lamb was so so tender! The rice as well. Lionel added the butter to the rice. I cant quite describe how it tastes. Close to nasi lemak but not it. Abit more salty den nasi lemak. Plus, because its two skewers, i'd say its really worth it!

I had the kebab barg ($17.50)...



its one skewer beef fillet seasoned with various herbs. You get the option of bread or the same rice that comes with the kebab koobideh. I chose the bread coz lionel was having the rice. but next time i'll definitely go for the rice. The beef was not good in my view. It was very overcooked so its abit hard to chew. I didnt like it.

We were actually already contemplating heading elsewhere for desserts but we still couldnt resist trying how persian desserts taste like. We ordered an item thats not on the menu. Dun quite know how to spell it but its $5...



the server described it to be somewhat like strudel with pistachio and i cant remember wat inside and den its dipped with syrup. The taste was alright. It was pretty sweet. Not particularly nice, not something i'll wana try again.

We also shared a banoo special ($4.50)



its thin vermicelli mixed with various of nuts. The vermicelli was fried and didnt really have much taste. Adding the sugar syrup was very sweet in a very artifical way. Also not what i'll try again. Lionel agrees.

9 comments:

D said...

Their baklava (the layered filo/phyllo pastry with crushed walnuts) is only very average. Once you've tasted good baklava, I'm quite sure you'll change your opinion on this dessert =D Glad to hear you enjoyed the hummus (chickpea dip).

Junie said...

heh... so where are the good ones?
yes, the hummous was so good!

D said...

Good ones? The ones I bake haha. I'm actually going to make some this weekend because I'm tired of having mediocre ones in Singapore. The best I've tasted were in New York and Perth. Haven't been to the Middle-East to try the stuff yet but my friend who worked in Turkey for awhile said the ones we had in New York were close to the best he had in Turkey as well. Anyway, stay tuned for my recipe, it should be up in a few weeks I hope... I have too many posts to clear even at a rate of one per day! =S

Junie said...

i'm under the impression that u're a chef. is that right?

haha.. im sure many will be happy to have u share ur recipe. As for me, i've only tried baking once in my life (excluding sch's home econs)!

D said...

Nope, I'm not a chef. Far from it =P

Junie said...

haha.. well, at least u know ur food well!

D said...

Thanks for the compliment. You are very kind.

Anonymous said...

You're right D. Its called baklava (in Greece) though I'm not sure what its called in Iran (Persia). Also, I still have yet to taste good baklava in Singapore. The best (by a very long shot) is in Australia in the Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne. Still, I find its very difficult to get good baklava anywhere. sigh.

Do recommend a place if you find one. Thanx.

Anonymous said...

You're right D. Its called baklava (in Greece) though I'm not sure what its called in Iran (Persia). Also, I still have yet to taste good baklava in Singapore. The best (by a very long shot) is in Australia in the Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne. Still, I find its very difficult to get good baklava anywhere. sigh.

Do recommend a place if you find one. Thanx.

Terence aka BeerGuzzler